Live and Play in Pittsburgh
Where Will Students Live?
The cost of housing is included in the program fee. Students will be housed in either Penn Commons or one of Point Park University’s residence halls. Both options are conveniently located in the heart of Pittsburgh’s cultural district and within walking distance of Penn State’s Pittsburgh Center housed in the Energy Innovation Center.
Lawrence Hall, Point Park University
How to sublet your Penn State Apartment
If your lease expressly permits subletting or assignment, you are legally free to substitute another tenant for yourself. The same is true if there is nothing expressed in your lease against subletting.
- Uloop is a website where people host their sublets.
- Penn State has a craigslist site where people host their sublets.
Intro to Pittsburgh
- Made In PGH is a welcome guide to newcomers.
- Yelp is a great search guide for anything you’re looking for in Pittsburgh.
- NextPittsburgh.com is a website whose goal is to create an online community focusing on the cool people, projects and places taking Pittsburgh to the next level as a place of creativity and innovation–to figure out what’s next, who’s leading the charge and where we’re all headed.
- Imagine Pittsburgh is a digital hub for career exploration that connects you to 25,000+ positions open today and provides real-time information about trending occupations.
- City Paper Pittsburgh is an alternative newspaper featuring news, dining reviews, restaurants, music reviews, movie & film reviews, opinions, arts & entertainment, and culture.
- Pittsburgh Urbanist Guide has made it easy for both tourists and locals to pinpoint the outstanding local businesses in Pittsburgh.
Transportation in the City
- Port Authority for Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) allows trip planning and general info about public transportation.
- There’s a number of apps to download which can help you navigate the city.
- Maps and Schedules for the Bus and Light-Rail Train System are located here.
A Day in the Life: What to Expect Outside of Class
- Some ideas for what to do in Pittsburgh
- Inexpensive and free things to do in Pittsburgh
- 50 Fun things to do in Pittsburgh
Safety in the City
- City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Police
- City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
- Counseling services available in Pittsburgh
Student Health Insurance
Insurance requirement for students taking courses off campus is the same as students taking courses on campus.
Domestic students (US citizens or permanent residents) can use their parents’ insurance or insurance purchased through Penn State. They will not be required to have insurance in Fall 17.
International students who are registered for classes as undergrad, will be required to have Penn State insurance or show comparable proof of insurance.
Penn State current insurance carrier is Aetna Student Health. There is currently an RFP out to choose next year’s carrier, and we will know more by early February.